Alapa is a steamed pudding that combines Beans and Egusi. It is typically eaten with Eko (steamed corn pudding). It can also be eaten with a lovely pepper sauce that has a lot of onions or with custard or pap which would have the same tart that Eko has.
- 3/4 cup of Brown Beans
- 3/4 cup of Roasted Egusi (Melon seeds)
- 1 cup of Water
- 3/4 bulb of Onions
- 1 Tatashe (Paprika)
- 4 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of Crayfish Powder
- 1-2 Seasoning Cubes
- Salt to Taste
- In a bowl of water, soak your beans for 30 minutes to an hour. Wash your beans to peel off the skin and set aside.
- In a pan, lightly toast your egusi seeds till it starts to brown a little.
- Pour your Beans, Egusi, Onions, Tatashe, Scotch bonnet pepper, Crayfish powder, Seasoning cubes, Salt and Water into a blender and blend till smooth.
- In a greased aluminium cup, pour in your mix and steam on medium heat for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot.
N.B.: You can also use the powder version of both beans and Egusi.
Curated from Afrolems.