Efirin is also called Scent Leaf or Local Basil. Efirin Pesto Pasta is inspired by the very famous Italian Pesto. The Italian Pesto use actual basil, a richer cheese and pine nuts but substitutes available in Nigeria were used to recreate this recipe.
- 1 Cup Pasta (Macaroni, Penne, Spaghetti)
- 1 Cup Chopped Efirin (Scent leaf/local basil)
- 1/3 Cup Cashew Nut
- 6 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup of Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- A handful of Onions
- Seasoning Cube (Optional)
How To Prepare
- In a blender or food processor, place garlic with half of the Olive oil and blend till crushed.
- Add cashew nut and blend till crushed.
- Add Parmesan cheese and blend.
- Add the Efirin leaves, salt and black pepper and blend till combined.
- In a pot with 2 cups of boiling water, pour in pasta and boil till soft. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In another pot, pour in pesto and heat up. Once it starts to heat up, add onions and any cooked protein you would like to eat the pasta with.
- Finally pour in the pasta and mix till properly combined. Correct with seasoning cube if necessary and serve hot.
Curated from Afrolems.