Danwake is a dish typically eaten in the Northern part of Nigeria. Danwake is a dumpling made of Beans and Kuka (Powdered Baobab leaves). It is served with Yaji, boiled egg, onion flavored oil, cabbage and seasoning cubes. Danwake dumpling on its own is bland hence the glazing adds sweetness and gives a different dimension to this dish.
Follow the recipe below to make for yourself a Glazed Danwake.
- 3 cloves of Chopped Garlic
- A tablespoon of Shredded Ginger
- 1/2 bulb of Chopped Onion
- 2 Sliced Chilli Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons of Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- A tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of Fish Sauce
- One and a half Tablespoons of Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of Chilli Sauce
- A tablespoon of Brown Sugar
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 seasoning cube
- A pinch of sesame seeds for garnishing
- In a pan, toast your sesame seeds till light brown, add to your bowl with oil, fish sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, chilli sauce and seasoning cube.
- Heat up your pan and pour in your oil and allow to heat on medium heat.
- Add in your garlic, ginger, onions and chilli and stir fry.
- Pour in your mixed oils and sauces. Allow the sauce to simmer for 2-3 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Toss in your Danwake and allow the sauce coat the dumplings sufficiently.
- Sprinkle your salt and finally your sesame seeds.
- Serve your glazed Danwake hot.
Curated from Afrolems.