Groundnut soup also known as Peanut Soup is a popular soup from the Northern region of Nigeria (Miyar Gyada), it is also common in the southern region especially in Edo state (Omisagwe). The soup is also eaten by other West African countries like Ghana where it is known as Nkate Nkwan.
Groundnut soup is delicious, savory and spicy. It can be eaten for lunch or dinner and it is best enjoyed with swallows such as Eba, Semo, Fufu and it can also be eaten with rice.
- 300g of raw groundnut.
- A handful of bitter leaves or spinach (chopped).
- ½ bunch of Scent leaves.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 Seasoning cube.
- ½ tsp. of grounded Uda.
- 1/4 cup of cooking palm oil.
- 1 tbsp. of grounded crayfish.
- 700g – 1kg beef/assorted meat.
- 2 medium-sized onions.
- 3 – 5 scotch bonnet (blended)
N.B.: The soup can be prepared either plain or with any vegetable of your choice. You can use leaves like scent leaves, bitter leaves, Uziza or spinach.
- Put a pot on medium heat, add in the washed assorted meat, chopped onions, seasoning and salt to taste. Bring the meat to boil till it becomes tender.
- Add the stockfish towards the end of boiling the meat to infuse flavor into the stock.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat, toast the groundnut for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Allow the groundnut to cool for some minutes then pour it into a dry mill blender or food processor
- To the boiled assorted meat, add in the blended pepper and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the palm oil to the boiling pepper and cook till it is well combined.
- Add the powdered Uda add the blended groundnut to the mixture, you can add water if the mixture is too thick.
- Add the grounded crayfish and continue to cook for about about 10 – 15 minutes. Stir in between. Add seasoning and salt, put in more water if need be.
- Add washed vegetables to the soup, don’t cook the mixture for more than 5 minutes to retain the freshness.
Serve the Groundnut soup with your choice of swallow.
Watch the Groundnut soup recipe video
Curated from Chow Hub.