This Okra Soup recipe is the most concentrated Okra Soup ever. It is meant for only licking (we say you lick the soup when we “eat” just the soup). That means no need for a swallow accompaniment. The soup is concentrated with lots of vitamins. This is best for those who want to reduce or maintain their weight.
- 500g Okra
- 1.2kg Beef
- 2 medium smoked Mackerels (Titus fish)
- 10 Mushrooms
- 1 Sweet Pepper
- 1 Habanero Pepper
- ¼ cup Palm Oil
- Leafy vegetable (Ugu or Spinach)
- 1 big bulb of red Onion
- 2 seasoning cubes
N.B: You can skip the mushrooms if you don’t eat it. Sweet peppers are also known as paprika, you can also use Tatashe if in Nigeria.
How To Prepare
- Debone the Mackerel fish and break them up into big chunks then smoke in an oven. You can purchase already smoked Mackerel from the market if you wish
- Rinse and prep the okra by hand-cutting it.
- Chop the peppers.
- For this recipe, the spinach is added in whole, without slicing them. You can slice yours if you wish. If you are using Ugu, cut them into big chunks.
- Chop the onions.
- Slice up the mushrooms.
- Boil the beef with seasoning cubes (crushed) and half of the chopped onions. When done, set the stock aside. The stock should be little by the time the beef is well done.
- In a clean dry pot, fry the sliced mushrooms with the palm oil. Fry for at most 5 minutes.
- Take out the mushrooms and stir-fry the diced okra and remaining onions in the oil for a bit. Do not over-fry.
- Start adding the meat stock bit by bit. Add, stir till you notice the elasticity of the okra coming through. Repeat till all the stock is used up.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the pot with the leafy vegetable on top.
- Cover and steam till the leafy vegetables at the top wilts from the heat. Stir till everything is well combined then add salt to your taste and mix well.
- The Okra Soup should be very thick when done.
Watch video for more illustration
Curated from AllNigerianRecipes.