Shito Pepper Sauce is easy, delicious, versatile and can be served on variety of meals. It is a Ghanaian hot chili sauce and sometimes called Kpakpo Shito . The Shito pepper sauce recipe is simple. It is made with peppers, fish, garlic, onions, oil, spices and others usually blended together and cooked in oil till the sauce is formed.
Shito is dark brown in colour and can be served as side to most dishes such as Waakye, Kenkey, White rice, as dip, topping and much more.
- 3-4 big onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grounded crayfish
- 3 Seasoning cubes
- 1 cup shawa/bonga fish
- 2 Green kpakpo shito chilli (or to taste)
- 1 scotch bonnet (add more if you like it hot)
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 inch fresh ginger
- 2 cups oil (peanut oil, vegetable oil, rapeseed oil or use any of your choice)
1. Chop onions and ginger.
2. Wash the Shawa (dry fish) and set aside
3. Heat some oil in a pot and start frying the chopped onions and ginger in the oil.
4. Fry onions till brown
5. When onions browned, take off heat and sieve the oil.
6. Add some of the sieved oil from frying onions into the blender, add in the fried ginger/onions, Shawa/bonga fish, tomato puree and pepper. Blend smoothly.
Do no use water for blending. The oil makes the pepper blend smoothly without water.
7. Pour blended pepper mixture back in same pot with the oil and start frying. Add more oil if need be.
8. Add the crayfish, seasoning cubes and keep stirring the sauce to prevent it burning. The sauce starts to bubble. lower the heat at this point. When it looks like picture below and your shito is ready.
Serve with yam, beans or any food of choice. You can store in bottle jar.
Curated from Ks Cuisine.