Soya bean cake popularly known as Wara, Beske, Awara, or Nigerian Tofu is a snack that is made from blended soya beans and deep-fried with some spices. It is a tasty snack that is low in calories but abundant in protein with health benefits such as aiding digestion, boosting the immune system, reduction of cholesterol level etc. Wara is very popular in Kwara State (Nigeria) and other Western and Northern states in Nigeria. It often serves as a substitute for meat.
In making the soya bean cake, you would need coagulants such as lemon juice, or lime juice, or calcium sulphate, or apple cider vinegar, or magnesium chloride or fermented water from raw pap to separate solids from liquid.
- 3 cups of raw soya beans
- 1 teaspoon of magnesium chloride or 75ml of freshly squeezed lime juice
- Vegetable oil
- 3 habanero pepper ( blended)
- One raw egg
- A big pinch of salt
- Seasoning cube
How To Prepare
- Pick the soya beans, remove all stones and dirt.
- Place the soya beans in a bowl and pour water to cover the soya beans and leave overnight or 4 – 6 hours.
- After the soaking time is over, rinse the soya beans again and grind it into a fine paste.
- Add water (3 cups) into the blended soya beans. place a sieve (chiffon cloth) in a big bowl or pot, pour the paste into the sieve and separate the milk from the chaff.
- The chaff is what remains in the sieve and it is useful while the liquid that came out from the sieve is the soya milk.
- Pour the milk into a large pot and set on fire, occasionally stir the pot to avoid the milk spilling over. Allow to boil.
- Dissolve the magnesium chloride in half cup of water and pour into the boiling milk.
- Allow to boil for 3 minutes, then turn off the heat. Leave to coagulate for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the sieve (chiffon cloth) and place it in a big bowl, then pour in the contents of the pot. tie the sieve and place a heavy object on it to drain out excess water.
- After 30 minutes, untie the sieve, remove the soya bean cake and place in a tray. cut into smaller sizes and add the blended pepper.
- In a bowl, break the egg and add the seasoning cube with a little water and whisk together until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Place the Wara inside the egg mix and rub the eggs on it.
- Set your pan on fire and pour vegetable oil.
- When it gets hot, place the soya bean cake in the oil and fry until the color changes to golden brown.
Your soya bean cake is ready to be served with a sauce or a chilled drink.
Watch video to see how to make Wara
Curated from Chowhub.